Website analytics is an important aspect of SEO as it allows you to see where your traffic is coming from i.e. SEO or PPC or Referral etc. and also what keywords your visitors typed in to find your website. In addition to that analytics can also show you which keyword convert best. e.g. you may find that people who find your website by searching for ‘Solicitors Macclesfield’ convert better than those who find your website by search for ‘Solicitors Manchester’.
Anderson Mann SEO Manchester use two key types of website analytics software:
Google Analytics is an enterprise class analytics package. You just need to install a few lines of code into your website and it starts working straight away. Anderson Mann SEO Manchester install Google Analytics on all client’s site as standard.
You can do a massive amount with Google Analytics. However, often the basic information can be the most useful. Below are a number of useful insights you can gain from Google Analytics
1. Google analytics shows a breakdown of your traffic sources which shows the percentage /quantity of traffic that comes from each of the following sources:
- Organic / Natural Results (SEO)
- Paid results (PPC)
- Direct (when visitors type your URL directly into the search bar)
- Referrals (links from other websites)
2. Bounce rate – the Bounce rate tells you the % of your visitors who don’t go further than the home page and ‘bounce off’. In some cases a high bounce rate might not be a problem and simple suggest that the visitors have found the information they were looking for on the first page of your site they visited. However, in most cases it could mean one of the following:
- The website design is putting people off exploring the site further
- The website is attracting visitors (through SEO or PPC) who are not relevant e.g. if you site is rankling for keywords which are not related to the content of your site.
- The sites usability is poor and visitors can;t work out how to browse the site or find what they are looking for.
3. Benchmarking – benchmarking allows you to compare your website with other websites in your industry against various metrics. For example, you might wonder whether your bounce rate of 25% for your Manchester website on solar panels for your home is good or not. With Google Analytics’ benchmarking feature you can compare that statistic with other websites in the construction industry.
Grockdotcom has a great article listing more useful features of Google Analytics.
Click take is an advanced analytics package which allows you to watch visitors to your website as though you were stood behind them as they browsed your web site. You can see where they moved their mouse, where they clocked, how long they spend on a page, which order they visit pages. Clicktale is great for solving the mystery of what visitors do you your website and for improving usability and conversions.
We’ll be posting more on Clicktale soon as we gain more experience using it.
If you require web design or SEO in Manchester then contact Anderson Mann SEO Manchester using the form on your right to discuss your project further.